12 February 2019

UPDATED: Father Tolton in the local news

Over the past several days, the diocesan Director of Communications asked me to give a series of interviews with local media outlets about the Servant of God Father Augustus Tolton.

The first interview to air was with KSDK's Holliday:


We were very pleased that Mr. Holliday devoted more than four minutes to the story of Father Gus, particularly in a news cycle where stories often received not more than a minute and a half.

From WAND, I talked with Doug Wolf:


I especially like the above interview because you can see the lei that hangs on the crucifix on my desk in my office at the Catholic Pastoral Center.

From WCIA, I spoke with Mark Maxwell:


With these different interviews, the story of Father Tolton will have been shared in the major media outlets across the diocese, with the exception of the Quincy area where the media has previously shared his story on a number of different occasions.

As I sat down with the different reporters, I was impressed by their interest in his story, not simply as a piece for Black History Month, but as an inspiring witness of faith. Please join me in praying that Father Gus will soon be raised to the dignity of the altar and be declared a Blessed.

Update 16 February 2019: The interview I gave to National Public Radio can be heard here. I did not give an interview to the Quincy Herald-Whig, but they published a story, as did KHQA and WGEM.

Update 18 February 2019: The State Journal-Register's article is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment