15 April 2009

Priestly ponderings

One of the many joys of being a priest is seeing how the Lord uses you to touch other's lives, often in spite of himself.

This morning, after putting if off for several days, I went shopping for groceries. To be honest, I was out of Dr Pepper.

At the time I didn't have my clerical vest on (it's simpler that way), but I did wear black pants and shoes, a white cuff link shirt, and a black top coat. From the back, I looked like a priest. Or a funeral director.

At one point I turned my cart into the main aisle of the store (on my way to get Dr Pepper) and at the other end of the store was one of our recent high school graduates - and a member of the soccer team - coming my way. When he saw me a great smile came upon him and he greeted me most warmly. Since he seemed on his way out we did not stop and chat, but it was clear that simply seeing me was enough to brighten his day.

The recognition of this was humbling because I was not in an especially good mood this morning (I was not grumpy, though). I really do not like grocery shopping and I was also rather tired, for reasons yet unknown, though probably weather related.

It is always a comfort to know that the Lord uses his weak instruments in spite of themselves and a good reminder that the priesthood is not about me, but about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment