14 April 2009

A new club?

This morning when I checked my mailbox at the high school, I discovered the stack of papers to the left. The six pieces of paper all read, "Halo 3 Club."

It seems that a few of our students - and by a few I really mean a good number that seems uncertain - want to start an X-Box club for the purpose of playing Halo 3.

When they inquired at the office what they needed to do to begin a club they were told they needed to find a sponsor. And, as the secretary told me, they quickly agreed that I would do it and so stuck these papers in my box. They apparently presumed that I would know what they meant. The secretary was very helpful in this regard.

Truth be told, they're probably right. I do enjoy video games and they've assured me I'll like this game. And if I don't, as the sponsor, I could always get a different game.

I told one them today that I'll need a bit more information as to what exactly they have in mind before I make any real decision or plans. Hence, I'll call a meeting during lunch tomorrow.

I can't help but be reminded of how I landed my first job in high school. My friends and I frequented the local KB Toys several times each week.

One day a friend and I were standing at the counter and saw a new Super Nintendo game. "That's supposed to be good. We should rent it," we said. The manager, who was standing behind the counter reading the mail, looked up and asked, "Do you play video games?" "Yes," said I. She asked, "Would you like a job?" A bit puzzled, I answered, "Sure." "Good," she said. "You're hired. Come in on Tuesday and we'll fill out the paperwork."

That's a true story. I was hired as the Parental Video Game Advisor - aka Nintendo Boy - to talk with parents about video games and to offer my advice as to what games they should purchase. It was great, and started a good seven years at the toy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment