25 March 2015

The Great Ice Storm of central Illinois remembered - 37 years later

I was born on the 26th of March in the midst of the Great Ice Storm that all but shut down central Illinois for several days around Easter in 1978.

To mark the twentieth anniversary of that winter catastrophe, the State Journal-Register published the memories of several people who remember those days in and around Springfield well, memories that the newspaper republished a few days ago.

From the stories I've heard about the Great Ice Storm over the years and from the memories included in this article - and the accompanying pictures - I hope I never experience anything like it again and I'm very glad to remember anything of it.

I hope the Quincy Herald-Whig  will publish a similar story about those days in Quincy.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I remember it well... My husband and I were in Chamapign-Urbana at the time, and trying to drive up to Naperville for Easter. We didn't make it, but, Oh! it was beautiful... apparently, in more ways than one -- Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete