12 November 2014

Winter is coming...

The leafless days are not yet upon us here in the Eternal City, though they soon will be, and all signs indicate today will be another rainy day in the Eternal City. Although it is currently 59ºF with a high of 64ºF, I am well aware that winter is coming (I am also aware that the cold has already arrived back home).

Browsing around this morning for poetry about November rains, I stumbled upon Thomas Wood's poem No!:
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds -
November.
This past All Saints' Day, Matt Swaim tweeted a Twittany of Saints, highlighting some of the more obscure patronages of some of the members of the Church Triumphant, including the patrons against cold weather:
I knew we must have such heavenly patrons, but I never knew who, particularly, these patrons are. I don't much about either of the two, but at least we know who to call upon.

Saints Maurus and Sebaldus, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment