16 January 2013

Was that tweet meant for me?

From time to time someone will say to a priest of deacon that he felt as though thet words of his homily were meant directly and specifically for him or her.  These are always humbling and encouraging words.  This morning, I can say that the Holy Father tweeted just for me.

I awoke today feeling rather sorry for myself and overwhelmed and heavy burdened.  And, to be honest, a bit grumpy.  I could easily make Bilbo's words my own:
Why I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. … I want to see mountains again, Gandalf- mountains; and then find somewhere that I can rest. In peace and quiet, without a lot of relatives prying around, and a string of confounded visitors hanging on the bell. I might find somewhere where I can finish my book (The Fellowship of the Ring, 1.1).
To be fair, my relatives aren't prying around and instead of visitors hanging on the bell additional work seems to be hanging on the bell.  I've been trying to make progress lately but haven't had much success at it.  I went to bed last night remembering these lyrics of Rich Mullins: "There was so much work left to do, but so much you'd already done."  It's all rather frustrating, and we've all been there a time or two before and will likely enough be there a time or two more again.

As I looked over the daily readings, it almost seemed as the Apostles were speaking directly to me: "Everyone is looking for you" (Mark 1:37).  Yes, everyone - not really, but it sometimes feels that way - is looking for me and I wanted to do the opposite of what Jesus did.

It was with this frame of mind that I checked my Twitter feed and read the following from Pope Benedict XVI (@Pontifex):
If we have love for our neighbor, we will find the face of Christ in the poor, the weak, the sick and the suffering.
My love for my neighbor was weak, and, hence, so, too, was my love for my Lord.  It is not about me; it is about him and rest will come in time.  One step, one project, at a time.

Thank you, Holy Father, for your simply and timely tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment