23 December 2012

Credit where credit is due

In the past I have criticized several pieces Nicole Winfield has submitted to the Associated Press because of the distortions presented in her writing.

With this backdrop I was quite surprised yesterday to read Winfield's fair report in her AP article titled "Pope stresses family values as gay marriage gains".

What particularly surprised was Winfield's summary of teachings of the Church about homosexuality.  She writes:
Church teaching holds that homosexual acts are "intrinsically disordered," though it stresses that gays should be treated with compassion and dignity.
I don't spend a lot of time reading secular news stories about the Church, but this is the first time I remember seeing a reporter mention the second half.

Although it would have been good to have this mentioned earlier than half-way through the article, I commend Ms. Winfield for an improvement in her coverage of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment