10 September 2012

It's going to be one of those strange days

I thought it very strange this morning not to the see the business manager's car in the parking lot when I left to celebrate the 6:20 a.m. Mass at a nearby parish.  I thought it even more strange when the pulled into the parking lot as I backed out of my garage.

It was also strange that the stop lights did not stop me and allowed my swift progress through the streets of the capital city.

It seemed strange not to hear the local radio hosts discussing the morning news.

When I arrived at the church, there seemed to be no one present for Mass and it was now 6:13 a.m.  This, too, was strange.

After retrieving my vestments from my car, I looked up to the sky and saw the constellation Orion overhead (which is never a good sign) and thought that quite a lot had changed when I was in Hawaii (before I left, Orion was still below the horizon at this hour of the day).

When I arrived at the sacristy I found the doors locked and, as no one else was in the church, I wondered what I should do.  A moment later a parishioner arrived - who had a key - but also asked why I was present so early.  Apparently it was now about 5:20 a.m.

Thinking I must have missed a time change or something, I pulled out my phone which clearly read 6:20 a.m. (the parishioner also confirmed it, and showed that his phone clearly said 5:20 a.m.).

Apparently my iPhone decided that I am in the Eastern time zone, a falsehood it insists upon when it is set to automatically detect the time zone, but if it is not automatically detect the time zone it says I am in the Central time zone (which is correct).  What's going on?

With a few meetings this morning, a trip to Chicago and back, and Mass in 30 minutes, this is going to be a very long day.  I wish my body would let me take naps!

Incidentally, this helps explain how I somehow spent an hour and a half last night catching up on Facebook and Twitter before bed; in reality, it had only been half an hour.

The Bishop and I were in North Arm last night, which is very near the Indiana border.  Apparently North Arm does strange things to phones.

3 comments:

  1. There's always room for Fr. Daren in the Eastern time zone! Especially here at TC, you should come by sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michael! One of these days I'll get out that way.

    ReplyDelete