23 May 2011

A knowing look

Last evening I was introduced to a young man who has been diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.  One of his relatives knew that I, too, have a form of juvenile arthritis (albeit an adult-onset form, that will in all likelihood become rheumatoid [some signs are already present]) and made sure to introduce him to me.  He is now the second person I have met with juvenile arthritis.

As we spoke he asked what I did to help control the arthritis.  I talked about the benefits I find from swimming and using a hot tub and naturally I spoke also of the benefits of Hawai'i.  To explain what I meant I mentioned that here in Illinois, as soon as I open a door on a foggy morning my joints immediately feel pain.

Here, I fear fog and mist and cold rains.  There, I can hike mountains in fog and mist and rain.  The difference is unbelievable.

As I said this, he gave me a very knowing look with wide eyes, as if to be excited to finally find another who might know what he experienced.  I must say that, on my end, it was also nice to see such a knowing look.  Sometimes as I try to explain to people what the arthritis does and why one day I will have no symptoms at all and the next day be hardly able to move, I want to quote the fibromyalgia commercial: "If I looked as bad as I feel, then would you believe me?"

As the Bishop and I travelled to this particular parish last night for Confirmation, we drove through a storm that dropped the temperature nearly twenty degrees.  When we emerged from the storm after about thirty minutes, the temperature increased that same twenty degrees, the effects of which I am still feeling this morning, despite the blue and sunny skies outside my window.  As the day moves on, I will feel better and by the afternoon I expect to be fine.

While I am on this topic, let me mention the biggest irritation of the arthritis.  It is when people - well meaning as they are - say to me, "You're too young to have arthritis."  Apparently not.  Please, never say something so lame and foolish.

Today I will offer the stiffness and pain in my joints for the people of Joplin, Missouri who have lost so much in recent hours.  Please join me in praying for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment