24 March 2011

A department store encounter

A short time ago I went out to run a few errands and pick up a few supplies.

As I entered the second store on my list of places to go a kind saleswoman approached me and asked, "Would you like to help save babies by donating a dollar to the March of Dimes?"

"No, thank you," I answered. "The March of Dimes supports Planned Parenthood, the leading provider of abortions in our country, and that's a strange way to save babies."

This isn't the first time I've done this, and I can never be quite sure how the other person will respond.

She responded saying that she had not known about the connection and that she was only doing her job. I don't doubt that.

I then told her of the connection between the Susan G. Komen Foundation, Planned Parenthood and the causes of breast cancer. She was unaware of these, as well.

She thanked me warmly and sincerely, shook my hand, and wished me a good day. The saleswoman near her was also unaware of these connections and was glad to learn of them, too.

Some times we just need to be a little bold, and kindly speak the truth.

3 comments:

  1. Any chance you could make a blog post about March of Dimes and Susan G. Komen - either each separately or both in one write-up? I thought I had heard about the first, but hadn't heard about the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly, Craig. I'll put up a summary post shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week, the stepmother of a friend passed away. She was not Catholic, so I asked my friend what would be appropriate, whether there was an organization for which the family wished donations in her name. I knew she had cancer, so I made sure to say I do not donate to the American Cancer Society (its embryonic stem-cell research position is the reason). And I explained why. My friend did not know this and appreciated finding out!

    ReplyDelete