28 October 2010

A military victory observed

I learned today on Father Zuhlsdorf’s blog that today is the 1,698th anniversary of the celebrated Battle of the Milvian Bridge.
In the year AD 312 Constantine the Great emerged victorious over the forces of Maxentius at the Milvian Bridge when the army from Britain painted the Chi-Rho on their shields, the ancient symbol for the name of Christ.

You can read Eusebius’ description of the battle here (see chapters 28-38).

Shortly after this triumph, the Emperors Constantine and Licinius jointly issued the Edict of Milan in AD 313, by which the practice of Christianity was no longer illegal.

1 comment:

  1. my brother called me from afghanistan to tell me about this cool historical fact- that and to tell me he loves me:)
    he's always on the lookout for cool military feats to include in his homilies to the soldiers.

    ReplyDelete