01 March 2010

Now that's what I call ecumenism

This morning I celebrated Mass at one of the local nursing homes. Being in a predominantly Protestant area is still a bit strange to me (less than 30% of the population is Catholic; we have a lot of work to do!).

At this particular nursing home, two of those who assist at Mass are Catholic, while the rest are not (anywhere between six and ten people). Even so, it works out well.

This morning the parishioner who usually plays the organ for us could not be present, but we learned just before Mass that one of the residents present played the organ and offered to play for Mass. Not being a Catholic herself, it was the first Mass she played, playing How Great Thou Art, O Lord, I Am Not Worthy and Holy God.

I think that's a good form of ecumenism.

No comments:

Post a Comment