10 March 2010

It's that of year again

This morning my ever-vigilant sacristan called my attention to a silly practice some of the States of the Union will observe Sunday at 2:00 a.m. I am glad he did; I would not have known about it and would have been late for Mass. Strike that: the parishioners would have been early.

Sometimes I wonder if priests should claim the words of Gandalf: "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. He arrives precisely when he means to." Humorously, of course.

Until my dying day I will never understand the current purpose of the changing of the clocks this coming weekend to "spring forward."

Perhaps I should rephrase that: it is not so much the springing forward that baffles me as the falling back, whereby we lose an hour of daylight for no real practical reason today.

I will be happy to have an additional hour of sunlight, but will regret being - in a few days - five hours ahead of Hawai'i time, as opposed to the current four.

At any rate, change your clocks and conform to silly reasoning that at one point may have made sense but no longer does.

For the record, I am, generally speaking, more inclined to conformity than not. But in the case I shouldn't mind joining a quiet rebellion to change the clocks this weekend and never change them again.

P.S.: It just occured to me: I wouldn't be late for Mass, after all. My cell phone, which I also use for my alarm clock (this way when I travel I don't have to listen for different sounds in the morning or worry about bringing one along), should automatically change the time. I wouldn't be late, just confused. But there'd be nothing new there.

2 comments:

  1. AH, yes. One of the many perks of living here is that we don't have to monkey with the time. It's always Island Time here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the time change either. It makes no sense, and messes up my sleep schedule (and my kids') for the better part of a week. Just pick one and leave it alone, I always say!

    ReplyDelete