24 March 2010

How very sad

When I was back at St. Anthony high school, one of my continuing irritations with the high school students was their use of "colorful" language. Although I did not approve of their use of such language and they knew this, I did not seek to actively disuade their use of it. I recognized it to be a battle I could not win, and there were bigger battles to fight that I could win.

Part of my reasoning in not correcting every slip of the tongue was that it allowed the students to freely to ask whatever question they wanted because they didn't feel they had to be too guarded. Sadly, they simply think in this language today. I did, though, try to correct them whenever younger children were within ear shot.

Yeterday's use of the f-bomb by Vice President Joe Biden simply demonstrates why I chose not to engage in the battle over language; there simply was little point to it. Such language is now heard virtually everywhere and very few people seem to mind, even at the White House.

If the Vice President of the United States of America does not have enough respect for the American people and people throughout the world, particularly young children who might have been watching the signing of the dreadful bill, how could I convince the high school students to choose more intelligent language?

Perhaps, though, now that the Vice President's use of the once forbidden word has been done so publicly, their thoughts might change, though I doubt it; I suspect now it will only embolden the use of it because, after all, if the Vice President can say it, why can't I?

There does not seem to have been much concern over the public use of the word. Up until a few years ago it was generally agreed that it was a word not to be used in public, whereas now, sadly, it can be used anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Father, I agree that VP Biden's use of the term (and in so public a forum) was unfortunate. Also unfortunate was VP Cheney's use of the term on the Senate floor (June 2004), when he used the term to express his disregard for Sen. Patrick Leahy by telling him he should...um... "[back] off." Mr. Cheney's use of the term was mean-spirited, whereas Biden's was due to his excitement over a long-fought legislative battle. Neither use is a badge of honor, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crudity, if that is a word, and vile use of language is such a problem today; people have no sense of propriety or decency.
    Without sounding like a complete dinosaur, I think this has to do with "pop culture" (rap, television, movies, the internet) which seem to condone such obscenity and disrespect.
    I'm no prude (I hope not, at least!)...but common decency and respect for others is a virtue we need to recapture.
    Great post, Father.
    You're spot-on!

    ReplyDelete