02 March 2010

A CD recommendation

If you're looking for a enjoyable CD to listen to you, let me recommend a little treasure I picked up at St. Francis church in Kalaupapa on the island of Molokai: A Tribute to Father Damien of Molokai.

The CD includes such pieces as the Hawaiian State anthem (written by King Kalakaua), Panis Angelicus, Christus Vincit and several hymns in Hawaiian in honor of the Blessed Virgin and of the Holy Trinity. The songs are sung by the St. Francis Choir, residents of the colony.

The singing is both beautiful and moving, and proceeds from the sales of the CD will go toward establishing a Father Damien Memorial Museum and Library in Honolulu.

Here is the song Ua Hiki Mai, a Communion hymn:



I have not managed to find the CD online; perhaps one of my Hawaiian readers can be of help here.

2 comments:

  1. Were you able to find any online source for this? I wasn't able to. I could get it from YouTube, but would really prefer to purchase it and contribute to the museum. But I don't know how, since I won't be traveling to Molokai any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regrettably, I do not, but I will inquire through a new blog post.

    ReplyDelete