04 August 2009

Writer's block unblocked

The homily I preached this past weekend seems to have been something of a hit and has - thanks be to God - gotten a few parishioners thinking. I have received many grateful comments these past few days and by them I am humbled. The homily came about through a little burst of inspiration as I sat in my chair reading The Fellowship of the Ring. (But that's another matter altogether.)

In the midst of the grateful comments have been one or two - not very many, too be sure - that questioned something I said. In fact, I expected this because it seems to happen everytime a priest mentions that we should dress, as I said, "appropriately and modestly" for Mass.

To be sure, those who question what I said, or how I said it, mean no disrespect to me and I mean no disrespect to them. To help further this discussion I want to put something together about worship the Lord "in holy attire" (I Chronicles 16:29). This is where you come in.

I need your help in summarizing the common reasons given against dressing up for Mass offered by those who are sincere in their faith so that I might try to address them point by point.

No comments:

Post a Comment