08 July 2009

A day at the lake

I spent yesterday afternoon on the lake with a couple of good friends for a beautiful and relaxing afternoon. I've always enjoyed being on the water because I always find it peaceful and calm. It is, I suppose, one of the benefits of living in the midwest; we don't have to worry about sudden storms as on the Sea of Galilee.

After wakeboarding, skiing and tubing, we made our way into a very quiet and still cove just to look around. We saw a bird swoop down and grab a fish from the water. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity for a picture and the birds remained in the air afterwards.
We also found a large number of turtles basking in the sun on fallen trees in several spots. As we approached, some of the turtles went into the water, but many remained on the logs. I never realized before that turtles were social creatures:

It was a great afternoon!
When I returned to my car after four hours on the lake, I found it dead; it wouldn't start. Someone kindly gave me a jump and, after letting it run for a bit, I went to the store to pick up some cups for soccer practice. When I returned to my car, it was dead again.
One of the soccer players gave my car a second jump. When I arrived at soccer field I put the water jug in my car and drove from the field to the school. As I turned to park the car near the doors, it died.
I don't know if it is the battery, the starter, the alternator or a combination of them. It will be looked at this morning; I'm hoping it will be a simple repair.
After soccer practice, I went on the usual Tuesday night run to Buffalo Wild Wings for a most enjoyable close to the day.
I was to be in Springfield today for a meeting, but - given the situation with my car - will remain here in Effingham. This will give me a welcome opportunity to finish reading Caritas in veritate.


No comments:

Post a Comment