21 June 2009

A well played tournament

The boys played extremely well in this weekend’s soccer tournament at Effingham High School.

In their first game Friday afternoon against Altamont, the Bulldogs won 2-0.

In their morning game Saturday against Teutopolis, the boys won 1-0.

They lost their third game of the tournament Saturday afternoon against Effingham 1-0. As they played this match, I could tell they were very tired; nevertheless, they played well.

Naturally, the boys were very excited about the two victories and a bit upset about their loss. Nevertheless, they remarked, “We’ve already tied our record for last season.” It’s sad, but true. I think Coach K would be proud of them; I know I am.

It apparently poured down enough rain Friday night to soak the soccer field on which we played. The ground squished enough to soak through to your socks, which made me glad I chose to wear sandals or, as they call them in Hawaii, slippas.

Not a few times a player would give the ball a high kick and when it hit the field the players kept looking around for it circles, wondering where it went. Some of the puddles in the field were deep enough for the ball to float on the field! One of our boys took a bit of a forward tumble and landing face down on the field; his jersey was thoroughly soaked.

When returned from lunch for the second game, much of the water was now sitting on top of the grace.

Three of our alumni soccer players are back in Effingham for the summer and took on the coaching duties for the tournament and they’ll continue to coach the scrimmage games held through the summer. They enjoy the coaching, the boys like having them back, and I like not having to do something that I have no real knowledge about.

I brought my camera along with me to the tournament and took quite a few pictures during the games (Friday and Saturday).

No comments:

Post a Comment