04 June 2009

Soccer returns

This summer, a former coach of our soccer team is hosting practices for our soccer players each Tuesday and Thursday evening through July and the team will also play in several pick up games. Our first practice was held just two days ago.

Prior to practice the weathered seemed threatening but we had practice nonetheless, with about a dozen players in attendance. Halfway through practice the rain began to fall, so we simply continued in the rain. I found it rather enjoyable.

Toward the end of practice, the coach had the boys practice their guarding skills and, since we had an odd number of players, had me guard one of the boys, an incoming freshman less than half my age.

As I ran about trying to keep up with him (many times I just gave up) I couldn't help but think the situation rather unfair. Then the coach had me switch to guard one of our visiting players who graduated two years ago. And who as a member of the team that made it to the sweet sixteen. That certainly was unfair, but much fun.

At one point as I ran toward the ball I received a good push from behind and missed the ball. I turned to the player who gave the push and said, "You're not supposed to shove the priest!" He answered something to the effect of, "Father, this is the soccer field; that doesn't matter here." Fair enough.

As the grass was very wet yesterday and I was in tennis shoes I was sliding about all over the place. I fully expect the coach to me to more such use as the summer progresses so a short while ago I went out and bought a pair of cleats. Now I'm ready for practice in two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment