04 June 2009

A response to a comment

Today the Springfield State Journal-Register notes “Catholics recall Lucas’ calming influence.” Responding to this story, commenter St. Elsewhere – whom I do not believe I know and with whom I have had no contact regarding this story - seems to suggest that I feel a sense of “betrayal” by Archbishop-Designate Lucas over the closing of my home parish, citing my post “My home is gone.”

What I said in that post were the honest feelings of my heart, but I do not recall feeling betrayed by then-Bishop Lucas. On the contrary, I did, in point of fact, feel calmed by him. With many Catholics in Quincy, I did feel a sense of betrayal, not from then-Bishop Lucas, but from another individual whom I will not here name.

The Reverend Monsignor George J. Lucas, then the Rector of Kenrick Seminary in St. Louis, was appointed the eighth Bishop of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois and was ordained a Bishop on 19 December 1999. Nearly ten years later, the Most Reverend Father has been named the Archbishop of Omaha.

I was a senior history major at Quincy University when His Excellency first came to our Diocese and it was he who accepted me as a seminarian. It was Archbishop-Designate Lucas who received me into the ministry of Acolyte and who ordained me a Deacon and a Priest. Consequently, he is intimately connected with my life.

Throughout my seminary days I was filled with profound respect for him, a respect which continues to this day. He is a calm and gentle man, filled with a sense of purpose and a quiet personality. His humor often catches you by surprise and is of the witty strand, most enjoyable.

Prior to the official closing of my home parish, I twice wrote to His Excellency clearly expressing my thoughts and concerns regarding the planned closing and merger. I was blunt, honest and direct in these letters and His Excellency twice responded kindly in writing.

During a conversation at a Diocesan event, he personally invited me to come speak with him, if I so desired. We arranged a meeting the next week.

His Excellency showed his great concern and compassion not only in this invitation – which he did not have to give – but also in his willingness to listen to me. I arrived at his office about twenty minutes late because of unexpected traffic on the highways, but this did not bother him at all. I thought the meeting would last about thirty minutes; I spent an hour and a half with him. He listened again to my concerns and hurts and for this I remain grateful and indebted to him. He already knew my thoughts and he must have known what I would say to him in person, yet he offered to meet with me nonetheless. That shows a courageous, humble and compassionate man.

I do not share the sense of betrayal felt by St. Elsewhere, though I do sympathize with him or her. The pain of the closing of my home parish still is deep, but I do not feel betrayed.

My admiration for Archbishop-Designate Lucas continues today and in no small measure because of our differences. I am certain that his ministry in Omaha will bear much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment