03 June 2009

A message from the Archbishop-designate

Archbishop-designate Lucas's secretary sent the following message to the priests, deacons and staff of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois this morning:
Today, Pope Benedict XVI has appointed me Archbishop of Omaha. It is humbling to be given this new responsibility by the Vicar of Christ, and I thank the Holy Father for his confidence in me.

Of course, accepting this new appointment means that I will be leaving the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois which has been my home for nearly ten years. The joy of being
able to say yes to the pope without hesitation is tempered by the sadness I feel at the prospect of leaving this diocese and all of you. It has been a blessing and an honor for me to serve as your bishop. With our focus on Jesus Christ, we have been able to cooperate with grace to build up His church in significant ways.

My installation as Archbishop of Omaha is being planned for July 22. Until then I remain administrator of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois . Soon after my installation in Omaha , the diocesan College of Consultors will meet to elect an administrator to govern this diocese until a new diocesan bishop is named by the Holy Father.

I will do my best to fulfill the commitments I have made until I leave. I will also look for the opportunity to thank you more properly for your prayers and support. Keep the prayers coming and be assured of my prayers for you during this time of transition for all of us. God bless you.

+George Lucas

I can only imagine the thoughts swirling in His Excellency's mind. Please, keep him in your prayers in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment