30 June 2009

A little day trip

One of the blessings of parish life in the summer months is that the pace of life slows considerably, especially if the parish has a school, or, in our case, two schools. The pace of life all but stops.

I tried to fill my first couple of summers with activity, feeling lazy if I wasn't always busy. Now I've come to enjoy the quiet days, spending them reading, resting and chatting away when priestly duties are not occupying my time. I don't shy away from my priestly duties, but when things are quiet I'm happy to accept it and take advantage of it, knowing the pace of life will pick up in a day or two (it always happens that way).

This week, calendar wise, is very quiet; next week looks a bit busier. Today I will take advantage of the quiet week and take a little trip to St. Louis. Catholic Supply is having a big sale and I want to see if there are any good deals on anything I want. I also want to visit the Vincentian Press, which I haven't visited in years. I will make a visit to the new basilica - and maybe the old - and grab a bite of gelato. After my day in St. Louis I will return to Effingham for soccer practice.

It promises to be an enjoyable day and the weather promises to make for a beautiful drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment