10 May 2009

Homily - 10 May 2009

The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Four years ago, Bishop Lucas asked me to return to St. Anthony’s as a priest. He said to me, “You’re young and have lots of energy, and if you want, you can help out at the high school.” As you know, I accepted these “marching orders” and invested myself here among the high school students. These several years later, my time with them and with you has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.

I am sure that most of you have by this time heard the announcement I am about to make. I broke it first to the high school students on Friday; so much of my ministry here has been dedicated to them and I wanted them to be the first to know.

Some of you know that for the past three years I have served on the Priests Personnel Board, advising the Bishop about the assignments of priests. This Board met Tuesday morning.

Tuesday evening, one of the high school students posed this question to me: “At the end of the [school] year, if you could have your choice of going anywhere or staying here, what would you choose?” I told him I would choose to stay here, knowing that only six hours earlier, Bishop Lucas asked me to assume the pastorates of Sacred Heart Parish in Virden and of St. Patrick Parish in Girard.

With great reluctance I accepted, remembering my promise of obedience given him on the day he ordained me to the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Today I am able to fulfill the words of the Psalmist, “I will fulfill my vows before those who dear the Lord” (Psalm 22:26).

At this moment I do not know when this assignment in Virden and Girard begins. All I can say is that it will likely begin sometime between the first of July and the middle of September.

I want to remind you today of what I have told you so often: our only happiness lies in God and in following his will for our lives. This new assignment just south of Springfield is the will of the Lord for me, as given through Bishop Lucas. Difficult as it is, I accept this assignment with humble trust, remembering that when I laid down on the cool marble floor of the Cathedral the day I was ordained I gave my life to Jesus Christ and his Church. As I ask the Lord today to give me – and you – his joy and peace, I place my life again at the service of his Church.

I do not fully understand the Lord’s will in this new assignment, but I will listen to his words, “Remain in me, as I remain in you” (John 15:4).

In a time such as this, I find myself asking, “How do I want to be remembered here?” Above all else, I want you to remember this: the love of Jesus Christ.

If I have not somehow helped you to realize and understand more deeply the love of God, then I have failed in my mission. If such is the case, I offer my sincere apologies and beg your forgiveness. But if my time among you has helped to lead you closer to Jesus, let us together give him thanks and praise, for it is he who has used me, his simple and humble laborer, for his own glory.

Five or ten years from now, if you think of me I hope it will be because you have realized the beauty and the importance of living for others. The way of Jesus Christ – the way which the saints have followed – shows us that it is better - that it is more fulfilling and more human – to care more about others than to care about myself. This is what I want you to remember: that life is best lived when it is lived for God and for others! Live in this way and you will remain in Christ Jesus.

I am grateful for your many prayers and encouragements and all that you have taught me these past few years. I have no words to express my deep gratitude but these two simple words: thank you.

I am especially grateful to the high school students and I will especially miss my ministry among them. They have received me not only as a Father, as a priest, but also as a brother. They have challenged me and taught me more than they know. Again, my dear young friends, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

I will be here among you for at least another six weeks; God willing, I may be here for another three months. At the present moment, only the Lord knows this. While I am still in Effingham, I will do my best to remain present among you, but I may need you to remind me not to shut myself away; this is always a danger for an introvert. If you see me pulling back, please, remind me that I am still here.

These words of Jesus today offer us a great comfort: “I am the vine, you are the branches” (John 15:5). Through Baptism, we have been united with Christ, being incorporated into his body. Consequently, we know that no matter the distance that separates us, we are never far one from another, for Christ has only one body. If each of us remains attached to the vine, we will never be far each other, united as we are in Christ.

Finally, I beg your prayers for me. I do not feel ready to be a pastor, but this is what the Lord is now asking of me and he will strengthen me with his grace to fulfill the duties he is entrusting to me. Please, dear friends, pray that I may always remain attached to the vine of Christ and that I will always remember that apart from him I can do nothing (cf. John 15:5).

Pray that I will be a good, holy and zealous pastor of the flock that will soon be entrusted to me, that my ministry “will bear much fruit” (John 15:5). And know that I will remember you each day in my prayers, as I ask the Lord to bless you abundantly that you will always be built up and walk in the fear of the Lord (cf. Acts 9:31). May his joy and peace be with us all this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment