28 May 2009

The fourth anniversary

Today I celebrate the fourth anniversary of my ordination to the Priesthood of Jesus Christ at the hands of His Excellency the Most Reverend George J. Lucas, the eighth Bishop of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois.
I will celebrate the day in rather an odd fashion by going with four members of the boys' track team to the State meet at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. It will be my first time at a State competition of any kind. Providing it doesn't rain, it should be an enjoyable day.
Later today I intend to post some reflections on the past four years, or at least on the day of my ordination itself.
At Mass this morning I used the prayers, "For the Priest Himself, On the Anniversary of Ordination."
Here is the Collect:

Father,
unworthy as I am, you have chosen me
to share in the eternal priesthood of Christ
and the ministry of your Church.

May I be
an ardent but gentle servant
of your gospel and your sacraments.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment