17 March 2009

Outwitted

Sometimes I think I might be too much of a sucker.

The head track coach could not attend practice today and left the session in my hands. Thankfully, he is very relaxed with the kids and trusts that they will do what needs to be, which they usually do.

After practice yesterday he mentioned to me that if I didn't want to come to practice I could simply cancel it, but since my calendar was opened I said we could the practice as scheduled.

He gave a few instructions to the boys and went on his way.

It was suggested to me this afternoon that we not have the normal practice and instead take a run to Homewood Grill, a local ice cream stand and a favorite of the kids. (I had a pineapple shake there the other day; it was good.)

After hemming and hawing a bit, one of the boys said, "If Jesus went to Calvary, Fr. Daren, you can run to Homewood." How could I argue with that logic?

Being half my age and in far better shape than I have ever been in, they ran about twice my pace and, though one of the kids stuck back with me, I ended up walking about a third of the way. My heart and lungs aren't quite what they used to be and I forgot to grab some water before we left, a mistake I won't make again.

We ordered our ice cream (I had a chocolate covered cherry shake 'n more, something like a blizzard) and walked back to the high school as we ate our treats. Once we were back at the track the boys went to work and I watched the pole vaulters practice. It looks to be a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment