19 February 2009

The faithful nearly always impress me.

Last week Wednesday the Parochial Vicar of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace was appointed Parochial Administrator of two parishes, effective this past Monday. This put the Rector of the Cathedral in a bit of bind; his vicar would not be immediately replaced.

Knowing this, I offered myself to assist the Pastor in whatever way I could and he allowed me to celebrate the Noon Mass this Tuesday and Wednesday, and to hear confessions before Mass Wednesday.

Yesterday morning - before confessions - I went to the Aloha Stadium for a swap meet (I found a great little oil painting for only $2!). When I went to leave the stadium - with more than enough time to return to the Cathedral - I couldn't find my car.

I circled the stadium twice, and didn't find it. I found security and was driven around the stadium - a third time - in a golf cart to look for the car. Neither the driver nor I saw it.

A second worker drove around the stadium - a fourth time - looking for the car, but he didn't find it either.

Finally, a third worker drove around the stadium and found the car right where I left it. How we missed it so many times is impossible to stay, but I was greatly relieved when he called with the news.

At any rate, this put me behind schedule and made me fifteen minutes late to hear confessions. I called the Cathedral ahead of time and they explained the situation to those wanting to go to confession that I would be late; at this point no one knew how late I would be. The faithful simply sat there waiting for me.

I heard confessions until shortly before Mass began. At the end of Mass I thanked the people for their very warm welcome of me and told them I hope to see them again soon. After Mass they were so kind to me. I will miss it here, very much.

In a couple of hours I will begin my little pilgrimage to Molokai to the grave of Blessed Damien. I will pray for all of my readers at his grave.

I will return to Oahu midafternoon and leave for the mainland right about 6:00 p.m. Though I don't want to leave Hawaii, it will be nice to return to Effingham. I'm already looking forward to my next return to these islands.

Mahola, Hawaii! Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment