13 January 2009

I'm not so sure about this

Yesterday morning our athletic director at the high school asked me if I would consider training with him and some of our students for a half marathon run in Champaign on Holy Saturday morning. I was quite baffled at his request; he knows I hate running and, basically, any real form of exercise.

He even tried to guilt me into by saying their are some students who will run only if I run. That guilt will not work on me.

At one point he mentioned that in addition to running, I'd also have to pay to enter the marathon. This doesn't make much sense to me. I told him we should turn it into a fund-raiser for me to attend the canonization of soon-to-be Saint Damien of Molokai (date yet to be announced, but rumored to be in October).

Because I really haven't been exercising much at all since, oh, August, and my doctors have advised me that I really need to excercise, against my better judgment, I'm going to pop over to the gym in a few minutes for the first day of training.

Given the marathon is on what is perhaps the busiest day in the life of a priest I doubt I will actually run it, but the training surely can't do too much harm. Can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment