28 November 2008

A squirrelly moment

After attending my first Mass celebrated in the extraordinary form this afternoon at the Shrine of St. Rose of Lima, I went to the cemetery to pray at the graves of my parents. I try to do this every time I return to Quincy, at least for a few minutes.

This afternoon my prayer was distracted by two squirrels, both with rather bushy tails. One of them seemed to be running from the other who was not a bit deterred. It was quite funny.

I burst out laughing (that's not something you often do in a cemetery) when the one squirrel went behind a tombstone that was about two feet high and three feet long. This particular stone had flowers on top of it and two vases with flowers on either side of it. The second squirrel hopped on top of the stone and climbed up on the flowers, while the squirrel on the ground looked at it.

The second squirrel then put its head into one of the vases while keeping its body on the stone; the squirrel was now upside down. I think he must have been looking for nuts. After trying to peer inside the vase, he pulled himself out, picked up the flowers that were in the vase, tossed them on the ground and popped his head back in the vase. (That's when I burst out laughing.) It might be one of the funniest things I've seen. Not finding anything of note in the vase, the two squirrels went off and happily climbed a tree.

Before leaving the cemetery I put the flowers back in the vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment