06 November 2008

From the time I was a young boy I have always enjoyed the legends of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. I spent much of my childhood building bigger and better castles with Legos and even playing in the fields as knights. One of my senior seminar papers - required to receive the B.A. - concerned King Arthur.


Lately I have not had much opportunity to pursue my love of all things Arthurian; priestly duties and, more lately, teaching must take priority. (When my students ask what I would be if not a priest, I tell them I would be in England looking for King Arthur.)


This morning I just happened to open the November volume of Butler's out of curiosity to see which saints are celebrated today. The first listed is the sixth century Saint Illtud.

"'Illtud?' I thought. Wait, I know that name!" Saint the Illtud has connections to the legends of King Arthur.

In the Life of Saint Illtud - which I've seen dated anywhere between the ninth and twelfth centuries - we are told that Illtud is a cousin of King Arthur. The intertwining of the two personalities are brief. Illtud,
hearing of the magnificence of his cousin, king Arthur, desired to visit the court of so great a conqueror. He left what we call Further Britannia, Brittany, and arrived by sailing, and here he saw a very great company of soldiers,being also honourably received in that place, and being rewarded as regards his military desire. His desire to receive guerdons being also satisfied, he withdrew very pleased from the royal court (Life of St. Illtud, 2).
I just thought you might like to know.


Today - being a rainy, dreary day durning which the temperature is to begin falling - may well be a good day to pick up the legends again. With the change in weather my left knee is throbbing; if I could make my knee cap pop right off I would do so gladly! Laying down with a good book may be just the remedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment