13 October 2008

Read while you walk

Just a moment ago I came through the back door of the parish center and passed by the office of one of our Sisters on my way into my office. As I did so I happened to be reading a book in preparation for a Bible study tonight at our mission parish.
Sister just walked by my office on her way out and asked, "How can you read while you walk?" I answered, "How can you not read while you walk? Sometimes just walking is boring?"
It reminds me of one afternoon at the gym. I was using one of the eliptical machines (I'm sure there's a more technical term for them) and, not being one to enjoy walking and not getting anywhere - but liking stares from passersby in cars even less - was reading a book at the same time I used the machine. I did this through seminary, too.
A few of our high school students happened to be in the gym at the same time lifting weights. He came over and asked, "Father, how can you read and run at the same time?" If memory serves, I gave him a similar response to the one I gave Sister just a few moments ago.
Apparently reading and walking don't always go hand in hand. If it weren't for those nasty cracks in sidewalks and the curbs, I'd read everytime I stepped out of the door.
Which reminds me. Speaking of the gym, I really haven't been exercising at all lately and I know that it is high time I return. I can feel the effects of the autumn and winter already, which doesn't bode well for the months too come. If you wouldn't mind, please offer a prayer or two that I get my act together and start exercising again. Part of the trick is that when your knees hurt a bit the idea of using them more isn't very appealing, even if, in the long run, using them will make them hurt less. At least that's what people say. Then again, they also say that exercising will give you more energy, but I haven't quite found that to be the case.
And while we're on that topic, this week will be an insanely busy one. I'm covering four classes each day at the high school, two of sophomore religion and two of junior religion. We have a regional soccer game tomorrow evening an hour away. We have soccer practice - presuming we win the game tomorrow - Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, with a sectional game (I think) on Friday evening. Wednesday evening I'm blessing a house and joining a family for dinner. Thursday afternoon I'm meeting with a class at the grade school and in the evening I'm presenting a class on the Holy Trinity for the RCIA.
As I sit at my desk with my calendar, I really just want to chuck it out the window. It's going to be a good week - I'm certain of that - but it will take a tremendous amount of stamina to get through it, for which I could also use your prayers.
And now, I'm off to meet with our Deacon who will be filling in for me as the Master of Ceremonies at a nearby Confirmation this week. Afterwards I'm going to try to get a class or two prepared for the highschool, the RCIA class put in order before working on a Bible study on St. Paul and Reconciliation for this evening. And if I work really well, I'll even get a start on Sunday's homily.
Who knew today was a civil holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment