21 October 2008

In my last post on fielding questions from sophomore and junior boys while attempting to watch a volleygame, I wondered why the boys so freely barraged me with questions of all sorts, and why they do so so often.

Peter, of Ubi Petrus, formerly of Utter Muttering, astutely provided the answer. He said:

As for the boys, it's simple. They ask. You answer. No hiding, no punches pulled. The one thing kids want the most these days is veritas. They see everyone dancing around answers all day and can see right through it. Kids these days have rediscovered the transcendentals so casually discarded over the past couple of generations - the true, the good and the beautiful. It's only when we're unwilling to give them these that they go looking elsewhere.

Peter once called me "positively Ratzingerian," a compliment by which I am deeply humbled. Now it's my turn to return the compliment. Just a few days ago Pope Benedict XVI said to the Bishops of Paraguay:

[T]each the faith of the Church in its integrity, with courage and the conviction of those who live by it and for it, never ceasing to proclaim the moral values of the Catholic Doctrine explicity, which refer to the family, sexuality and life, that are sometimes the subject of debate in the political and cultural context and in the means of social communication.

Well said, Peter, well said.

Later this morning I'm going to speak with some of them in their study hall - at their request - about why sex should be saved until marriage. They could be sleeping. They could be doing homework. They could be goofing around. But they want to ask questions. I'm very much impressed. (No doubt a bit of goofing around will take place as they ask the questions, too, which is fine by me.)

I've tried a few approaches already to help them understanding the teachings of the Church on this, but none have yet fully "sunk in." I think, though, that a foundation has been laid. Your prayers in this regard would be most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment