08 October 2008

The Blessing of Pets

It is customary to celebrated the Blessing of Pets on the Memorial of Saint Francis of Assisi, October 4th, but since I was away in Quincy on the Feastday we celebrated the blessing this afternoon.

I didn't think to count how many animals and people were present, but I know we had at least ten dogs, one cat and even one rabbit. The hamster that was present last year was not this year and we still haven't had a fish. Maybe next year.
Last year the people naturally gathered today under the shade trees in one group; they didn't this year, and I'm not sure why. I don't think it was as hot this year, though.


Here are a few pictures from the blessing:



The photographer from the Effingham Daily News and I get along well and it's always good to chat with him.

A parishioner and I chat before the blessing.

I'm told that this rabbit often goes for walks.

Here you can see a few of the animals that were brought for the blessing.

I think next year I'm going to try to get a few servers to carry the cross and candles and to hold the book.



Blessing the pets and people with holy water.

Sprinkling a few more animals.

Maybe I also need two servers to hold back the cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment