27 September 2008

Off for the day

The soccer team today will play matches in Manteno, Illinois, a city some two hours and forty-five minutes from Effingham. Thanks to the great generosity of our retired priest - who will "cover" my anticipated Sunday Mass this evening - I will be going with the boys.

I cannot thank Fr. Carl enough for his great generosity. Whenever I call asking for assistance he never hesitates to agree, and then he checks his calendar. I don't know what I would do without him! If I ever get to retire I only hope to be half as generous as him!

Tomorrow's homily is nearly finished, but needs just a bit of tidying up before posting; look for it later tonight.

In the meantime I leave you with these words from Blessed Damien of Molokai:
To obtain this happiness ... let us begin from this very day to prepare for a happy death. Let us not lose a moment of the little time we have still to live; let us walk on in th way of holiness and justice, persuaded that at that moment we too shall have the happiness of hearing those consoling words: "Come, ye good and faithful servants, who have been faithful in small things, to take possession of the kingdom I have prepared for you.
Please keep the boys in your prayers today; it's going to be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment