17 July 2008

On the Papal Arrival

Yesterday morning a couple of the boys and I went to what is called “Paddy’s Market.” In effect, it’s a place filled with lots of vendors peddling odds and ends, mostly clothing, jewelry, cheap stuff and fruit. Only one store caught our eye, one that sold aborigine boomerangs and other artworks. I bought two boomerangs and two wooden vases. I also bought a carving of the Nativity at one of the other shops.



At 11:00, the pilgrim group made our way back to Barangaroo to await the arrival of the Holy Father. It was amazing!

We arrived about two and a half hours prior to the scheduled arrival of the Pope (who left at the end of the welcome ceremony ten minutes later than scheduled). Most of the pilgrims took the extra time as an opportunity for a bit of a rest.




Il Papa set sail from Rose Bay on what was termed a "boatorcade." It was truly impressive to watch on the jumbotrons. Not only was the sea filled with police boats of every kind, but no fewer helicoptors patrolled the skies.

During his inaugural homily, Benedict XVI said, “The Church is alive. The Church is young.” He was quite right.

Young people from every continent and seemingly from every nation filled the harbor area and the sounds of singing and dancing came from all directions.

Wandering around Barangaroo looking for souvenirs and food, I stumbled upon a group of the Missionaries of Charity. They astounded me with a gift they handed out to priests: a second class relic of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta!

Because we were present so early we found good “seats” right up against the rail but these were quickly lost when the Holy Father arrived. When he did the “aisles” that were mostly barricaded off flooded with pilgrims – many of them not very polite – who wanted a picture with the Pope no matter what.

The happy side of this is that some of our pilgrims managed to be pushed to the very front of the lines and took some truly excellent photographs and were deeply touched. I think they now understand why I love Benedict so much. Though I was greatly disappointed - and even a bit more - but the kids were thrilled to be so close. I have my time right at the rail in Washington; I keep consoling myself with this thought.

It was so good to see His Holiness and to hear his voice again! My heart lifted and my eyes watered at his arrival. Papa had come.

He preached quite a while today – a bit more than I thought he would - but the homily was very good. The summation: "Jesus is close to you! Feel his healing embrace, his compassion and mercy!" I can’t wait to hear what he says on Sunday morning.

Benedict XVI urged us to “step forward into Christ's loving embrace; recognize the Church as your home. No one need remain on the outside.”

Reminding us that Jesus “is not far from any of us,” His Holiness noted that “Christ offers more indeed” than the secular world, that “he offers us everything.”

It is this message that I hope falls on fertile soil in the hearts of the youth that have come me. Please continue to pray for them, that they might open themselves ever more to the immense love of God and his divine will for their lives.

After the Pope departed, our group split up so that we might return to the hotel more easily. As you can well imagine, the crowds were immense and everywhere. Singing continued. Dancing continued. Shouts and yells abounded. It was glorious!


No comments:

Post a Comment