18 October 2007

The joys of autumn

For the past several days I have noticed increasing weakness and swelling in my joints, particularly in my knees, a clear indication that autumn - and winter - has arrived and isn't going anywhere for quite a while.

The weather continues to fluctuate not only in regards to the temperatures - 80 degrees one day and sixty the next - but also in terms of precipitation and fog, which are never good for arthritis.

The only real way to combat this - medication only seems to keep the arthritis at bay - is sleep, which isn't easy to get with Mass at 6:30 every morning, and exercise, which I abhor and for which I don't usually have time.

Be that as it may, I have decided that the time has again come to exercise to strengthen my joints in the battle with the arthritis. It certainly doesn't get rid of it, but it does keep it down, especially water exercise.

One of the things I miss the most about Mundelein Seminary is the oncampus indoor pool, very handy for a quick swim at the beginning and end of the day. I don't have that here in Effingham, but at least there is a pool at one of the gyms in town at which I renewed my membership yesterday afternoon.

The real trick will be finding the time to get there when the pool is free. The gym is only open until 9:00 p.m. throughout the week. If it were only open until 10:00...that would make things considerably easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment