17 April 2007

iPod top ten

It has been quite some time since I have done this, so I thought it might be time for another random iPod top ten list:

1. "Requiam aeternam," by Palestrina, sung by Chanticleer (Palestrina: Missa pro defunctis)
2. "Return by Tatooine," by John Williams (Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
3. "Let thy hand be strengthened - Alleluia!" by George Frederick Handel, sung by the Choir of King's College (Handel: Coronation Anthems)
4. "The Lord's Prayer" sung by the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George (Lift Up Your Voices)
5. "Concerto Grosso in G Major, Op. 6/1 by George Frederick Handel (Best of Handel, disk 2)
6. "A Choral Fanfare" by John Rutter (The John Rutter Collection)
7. "Gaude, Barbara" sung by Chanticleer (Palestrina: Missa pro defunctis)
8. "Great Love" by Henry Purcell (King Arthur)
9. "Suite in F Major; VIII" by George Frederick Handel (Water Music: Music for the Royal Fireworks)
10. "The Greening of Belfast" by Michael Card (Poiema)

My high school students sometimes take pleasure in browsing my iPod to see if they recognize anything. Very often they don't.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Howabout Taverner's Alleluia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any of Tavener's work but from what I heard - and knew to be his - I've liked very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard the Coronation Anthems in years. What do you think of all those unresolved chords in Zadok the Priest? The texts have been used at every English coronation since Edgar the Peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't recognize many of your songs either. And I am old enough to be the parent of your students! My iPod is filled with much more secular music, but most of it easy listening and light jazz with a smattering of religious music added in. And I don't have that much loaded on it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeffrey: Zadok the Priest happens to be one of my favorite songs, if not favorite. Really, give me anything by Handel or Purcell and call me quite happy and content.

    Ellen: That's okay. I wouldn't recognize very much on your iPod from the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purcell too, eh? You have an unparalleled tendency to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do what I can :c]

    Purcell's King Arthur I find especially enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Handel too. And the Chanticleers rendition of Palestrina's Requiem is great! I love choral music.

    John Williams is a great composer. His music soundtracks give an aural image to the movie. In my high school band, at the time, I did not really like John Williams that much. Nice to listen too but so hard to play and play well. His Star Wars was a nightmare to practice =)

    But now, in the comfort of my home, with someone else sweating it out trying to hit the high notes which come fast and furious, I really really love John Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do, too. I also love Howard Shore's music from the Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete