10 September 2006

Back to Hobbiton

Below is a post I typed Monday morning and am just now posting:

After celebrating the morning Masses Sunday I packed up and headed home to Quincy, known by some as Hobbiton. J.R.R. Tolkien was said, “I am, in fact, a Hobbit, in all but size”; those words I make my own.

Sunday evening my family had a cookout. I am pleased to say that everyone is doing well, and little Matthew is growing well – and eating a lot!

Monday evening I had dinner with a several couples with whom I have been great friends and whom I first met through Great River Teens Encounter Christ. We went to the Tower of Pizza, a most enjoyable Quincy tradition.

It was a visit of less than forty-eight hours but it is always good to return home. Whenever I return I always remember the words of Rich Mullins:

I kissed the earth on my daddy’s grave
Said good-bye to my brave young companions
And when they hoist that sail
I know my heart will break
As bright and as fine as the morning
It’s a dream that could kill with its beauty
It’s a hurt that could heal with its pain
But I’m only afraid my dreams may betray me

And I’ll never get home again

No comments:

Post a Comment