11 May 2005

A Midafternoons Walk

Yesterday, in the middle of the afternoon, being some eighty degrees and sunny outside, the time had come for a walk around the lake. The day thus far had been one filled with paperwork and frustration and I needed to get away from it all and enjoy some peace and quiet.

As I set out on my little journey around the lake, I all but immediately stumbled upon a sight I had not yet seen in my years on campus: two adult geese bookending, as it were, four small, newly hatched goslings. It was a charming sight to see the six of them waddle across the road and go gently into the water under the shade of an evergreen tree. I stood on the bridge going over the lake and watched the family for several minutes just taking it in. I was reminded of the many encounters St. Francis of Assisi had with geese in the fields and how he encouraged them to sing praise to Lord. After urging them to do the same, I continued on my venture.

About halfway around the lake I noticed a van approaching that slowed down and rolled down its window as it neared me. There were two marines inside who lived and worked on a base not far from the seminary. They were recruiters who saw the sign for the University of St. Mary of the Lake who wondered what kind of university it was. I spent several good minutes talking with them and had a delightful conversation with them. When we parted ways, I spent the rest of my walk praying for them and for the members of the military throughout the world.

These two experiences during the course of my walk filled me with peace and with joy and brought great relief to what was becoming a stressful day. Praise and bless my Lord, and give thanks to him and serve him with great humility!

No comments:

Post a Comment